Thursday 25 June 2015

Pea-egg quiche

I used two eggs. The pea-eggs' mean weight is 99 g - a large hen egg is 63-73 g. 
The pied black-shouldered peahen, being 2 years old, has come into lay, but since she's not been near a male for three weeks I've assumed that the eggs are not fertile and therefore available for culinary purposes. This evening I've made a couple of quiches using these eggs, roughly following Delia Smith's basic quiche recipe, but adding bacon, a small onion (fried) and a courgette chopped into sticks and browned in the pan. I have to say I couldn't make out any particular flavour from the pea-eggs, but it was by far the tastiest quiche I've ever had.

Just out of the oven.

The yolks are not particularly richly coloured, so the filling is quite pale.

No comments:

Post a Comment